Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Freedom Song

denny is the descendent of a Slave
brought to Virginia in 1682 to work the tobacco fields,
whose grandson married a Tuscarora woman.

A Freedom Song
by denny


Listen my voice, I am an American
And I sing a Freedom Song
A song of hope and promise
But one filled with grief and despair

I sing of my Native Brothers
Their ancient wisdom and love for this land
I sing of their tears and sorrows
I sing of what once was.

I sing of my Black Brothers
Of slavery and oppression
Negro spirituals sung in the fields
Under the whip and chain.

I sing of my Hispanic Brothers
Fleeing poverty and hopelessness
I sing their songs of hope
Longing for a chance to be free.

I sing of the Irish, Asians, and Dutch
Working in the fields and factories
I sing of Appalachian coal miners
I sing of sweat, hard work and courage.

I sing of all my brothers
Those that came and made America great
Building a Nation on their backs
Giving their lives for the next generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment